  From: Don Walter
  To: Calimus
  Cc: Scirocco-l
  Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Wheel hub & pre-pressed bearing

  GAP ???

  On 3/13/07, Calimus <calimus@techography.net> wrote:
    Hello all,

       I finally have begun ernest work on my rocco and found that I've toasted
    yet another wheel bearing.  Now I'm 90% positive that it's due to the axel
    nut having been re-used over an over and it backs off every few hundered
    miles.  With the work I'm doing, I've purchased new axel nuts so that won't
    be an issue anymore.  However, I'm also starting to wonder of the hub might
    have been damaged when I smacked a large "standing break" at a bridge
    junction.  The axel nut was tight before and after the hit, but the bearing
    is toast.

    So I'm wondering who might carry a new strearing knuckle/hub with the
    bearing pre-pressed in?  I know potterman used to carry them, but I don't
    see them listed anymore.  I have a press and could replace the bearing, but
    I'm thinking maybe new hubs Vs 19 year old hubs would be such a bad idea.
    If anyone has some sources, I'd very much apreciate it.  I may e-mail the
    poter-people and see if they can still get them on special order.

    Thanks,
    William S.

  Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
  1986 8V Black Scirocco (Daily Driver)
  1984 8V Audi 4000s (RIP 2/14/2006)
  1986 2.0L 16V TEC 2 Black Scirocco (see progress at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708939)
  1986 2L 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (Ben's Car)
  1971 Karman Ghia (sold)
  1969 Karman Ghia (sold)
  1969 Beetle (sold)