Calling all ECU Gurus: Need background info for academic paper

I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any particularly great
resources for info on engine control in general.  I am writing a paper
for a professor that will ultimately become a chapter in a textbook
he's writing.  I would prefer books because I still consider them much
more authoritative than online resources, but websites are good for
enhancing my own understanding.

I intend to cover basic automotive electronics as a background/review,
then discuss the basics of how ignition control and fuel delivery
control works (basically inputs, outputs and processing that takes
place in between) followed by a discussion of performance and basics
of aftermarket options in a general sense (i.e. I have no intention of
discussing any specific systems) and wrap up with tuning and
optimization - both techniques like how dyno tuning is done as well as
what can be done by the enthusiast who wants to improve their system.
The purpose of the book is in an applied physics course on
motorsports.  Other chapters will discuss suspensions, tires,
horsepower, driving techniques, etc., so this will be basically an
overview but should be very technical (applied physics).

Hopefully this will also parallel my own project of getting my car to
run on VEMS.  I'm doing a lot of school work this week (spring break)
so I can get ahead and hopefully have time to work on my car before
the summer (that is to say, cincy).  I'm thinking I'm going to try to
scam it into a parking space on campus rather than the grocery store
lot 3 miles away where both my Sciroccos are just sitting and rotting
away :(

-Grant-