Let's start a retrospective thread

    Hello ALL

        It's been a fantastic week and a bit with my wife in town (not
getting much sleep, but I'm not complaining) and I've got a ton done both on
the house and on the cars.  Rocky hasn't gotten anywhere new but I've gotten
knee deep in my PL teardown and that's the important part... getting
started.  So in the spirit of this thread I'll get into what I like.

    Do's:
        After three hoods flying up on me... Hood pins are a must now.
        Burned up three 2Y's so swapping to ACH or ATH deisel trannys are
always a plus for DD's, was great in the GTX, still looking for one for the
GLI.
        Koni yellows were comfortable but stiff enough to handle better then
stock
        Weitechs are holding up real well on the GLI
        Rear discs on Rocky so far have proven fruitless but a new MC is in
order, Jury's out on this still
        brake bleeder pressure bottle.  Neat toy but very useful for track
days.
        Toyo T1R's for track, low pro of course 195/45/14, best track tire
I've ever used so far
        Cooper Cobras good all season tire on the GTX back in the day
        Kenwood deck is a necessity, can't jam without a rhythm
        2.0 (9A) throttle body on the 1.8 16V was minor improvement but
cheap from pick and pull
        K&N worked well in the GTX, not there yet on the GLI
        Lightened flywheel, also helps a bunch with getting the revs into
the right place when you shift
        Sach's stage II was great in the GTX
        Removing AC, saves fuel and power in non DD cars
        Bumper bolts...  embarassing yes, not as embarassing as losing your
bumper driving down the road
        Honkin' chin spoiler.  GTX turned in so good
        Mobil 1 full synthetic, like teflon for inside the motor, stopped my
lifter tick on the Audi
        ABD shift kit, not for the smaller throws but for tighter linkage
        lobster claw rubber bands around the ball in the shift linkage on
the tranny, try it out, it's great.
        Digi 2 works great in Rocky

    Don'ts:
        Turbo II muffler, removing Cat, pointless.  No sound improvement, no
perf improvement, get a proper system
        Plugs and wires, unless you have some reason for needing more spark
power, I got no gains
        Cassette deck with changer... 10 years ago maybe, now... WTF?
        Alpine anything.... don't waste your money

    Upcoming hopefull do's:
        PL head on the 9A block for NA DD's
        Exhaust header and DP for the 9A
        Autotech chip in the 9A
        Bilstein race shocks and H&R springs for the flying squirrel
        rebuilt 2Y (one left) with a shorter FD ratio also for Rocky
        Motronic harness with the Digi 2 for potential turbo upgrade

    That's it for now, I'll come back again once the wife goes home next
week.

      Rave Racer
'81 Scirocco Mk1 1.8L 8V Digifant 2
'89 Jetta 1.8L 16V GTX