MK1 S model Equipment question

This is where my confusion sets in.  This spoiler/lip was it just a
moulding piece on the rear hatch, or was it raised on a couple legs an inch
or so off the hatch? (IE: like the zender one)

I have seen S models with and without that rear "lip" on the hatch.  I had
always thought that the zender rear hatch spoiler was taken from the S (or
vw used zender spoilers on the S model).  But I am not able to confirm
anything.

I can't seem to find a write up on what the S model came with.  I am
wondering if the US 81-S, etc did not have it, but maybe the European model
that was similar (storm?) did.

Still trying to sort this one out :)

Cory