Tranny grenade - thanks VW

I posted on your 'Tex thread  but I'll cross post here.

Wow, yah, that's crappy, sorry about your loss joe. For whoever asked if
this was the Self Machining Syndrome or SMS, this is not it. SMS is much
slower and you'll have oil spots for a day or two before total failure.
Google it, it's interesting. This is different. I've blown up three "2Y's"
and the first one looked just like yours. All 16V's came with either codes
2Y or AGB. Someone suggested this was an opportunity and I agree. Find a
code you like and either have it built or buy a used one from a reputable
dealer. Two texers who do these builds are "Cheapass" Ron Peiper and
BrokeVW. Both seem to be very modest about themselves and seem to have all
the neat tools required.
Three things to remember while shopping for your replacement:
1. There are two different clutch spline sizes. Small was in the 8V and
Deisels, large was in the 16V.
2. There were two different Drive shaft sizes, 90mm in the 8V's and some
Deisels and 100mm in the 16V's and some Deisels.
3. MK1 Chassis had a different shift linkage and are missing three bolt
holes on the back and top of the Diff that are REQUIRED for MK2's,
therefore, MK2 trannies will work in MK1's, but most MK1 trannies will not
work in MK2's. Roughly where the #30, #2, #9 are pointing on this diagram:
http://www.longenterprises.com...s.htm
I don't remember what code went in my 89 GTX but as it turned out once the
swap was done the first four ratios seemed closer together and fifth was so
long that I ran out of torque before I could get to redline but still
managed 210kph (135mph). Basically in the city it was a rocket but I had to
wind out 4th to get to 5th on the Highway. Highway fuel mileage was a huge
bonus. I now have an ACH waiting to go in my 91 GLI. I was originally
shopping for AOP, AGS then narrowed my search down to ACH and ATH. If you
find ATH in North America you've struck gold. 4th on the ATH is the same
ratio as 5th on the 2Y. The biggest difference between ATH and ACH is that
ATH has the smaller final drive gear and will push you to a higher speed.
There is one shop that imports crated parts from the fatherland with ATH's
once in a while but I have no idea and can not vouch for their condition. I
think that shop was German Auto Parts (GAP) but I'm not possitive and
definitely have no affiliation.

Here are my Tranny links for codes and a neato prog to test different codes
and see where you'd like your speeds and revs to sit.

Scirocco.org's Gear Up:
http://www.scirocco.org/gears/

Broke VW:
http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html

Fast Fruit:
http://ffp-motorsport.com/tuning/vw_trans.php

Techtonics:
http://www.techtonicstuning.com/trannyratios.asp

Pictures:
http://www.longenterprises.com...t.htm

Good luck and feel free to hit me up for more info if you have any Q's

P.S. This is a good time to change motor mounts and clutch and flywheel.
Also, for Scirocco's Black Forest makes a bar that supports the front motor
mount. If you start to run big power you might think about getting one.
Scirocco's with alot of power have been known to rip the metal right off the
frames without support.

      Rave Racer
Current:
'91 Jetta GLI 2.0L 16V