RIP Clutch 87 Scirocco

Well.  Now that my $311 rectal exam is over thanks to Boris the Towtruck
Driver...  Do you know how painful it was to endure 3 hours with "That is
Scorpio Yes?"  Actually it was more like "J'yes".

"And Scorpio have TDI eeeengeeene... Jyes?"

OMG All I could think was LET IT END.  Dear God Lord in Heaven... No more
"Allah" jokes I swear, just make it stop.

Sigh.

Here is what happened.  For as long as I can remember there has been a
little bit of a shudder when the clutch is released to a certain point.
Mostly I notice in first gear (it still does it other gears) I didn't do the
clutch last time out so I assumed it was a misalignment.  Well the last week
or so it seemed to be a little worse wasn't really sure until today when it
was kinda violent... almost like a noob stalling it.

When it was rolling it did not want to go into any lower gears (downshifting
for a stop light)  At a stop all gears worked fine.  Stopped for gas and
food, then as I was leaving the gas station got the violent shaking a little
gave it more gas was ok...  Drove toward the onramp got up to 3rd gear, and
tried to downshift to 2nd for the turn.  Wouldn't go lower...  Kept it in
third accelerated briskly went to 4th merged with traffic and finally put it
in 5th.  As I was putting it in 5th gear the clutch went to the floor with
the barest hint of resistance.  I am in 5th gear rolling at highway speeds
and it won't come out of 5th, pushing the clutch in only causes RPMs to
raise as if slipping but does not disengage clutch.  (no significant loss in
fwd momentum)  I got 80 miles before I had to stop at an accident.  At that
point it died with no way to get it into gear again.  (I tried to get it in
a couple time with no joy.  It was stop and go for miles so it didn't really
matter.  Threw in the towel and made a hot date with Boris.

I was able to maintain speed so the clutch disk isn't GONE but I think
something gave way not sure what I will crack it open tommorow am I
suppose.  The clutch was near the end of it's life as I was out of
adjustment--or at least to the end of it.  I think the friction disk or the
pressure plate tines partially collapsed.  Any suggestions or ideas?

BTW clutch cable seems to be intact with no problems.  That one was replaced
about this time last year.

I have a clutch kit (I stole it back from the Callaway) and I can get a new
cable (I always replace those as a matter of principle)  I am gonna pull it
apart tommorow and hopefully there isn't a transmission problem.

Chris
510-206-0949