To Rebuild or Not To Rebuild

I know this is going to be a long-winded post but I would like to get some
ideas from more knowledgeable people than myself.

In the next few months I'm going to be putting my focus back on the Rabbit
GTI that I am building for my G/F (Jen).  With any luck I will be pull the
old tired 8v motor out in the next few weeks and do some much need body work
to fix some rust before dropping in the new powerplant.

Little history on the motor. This motor was from my 98 Jetta GT that I was
using as a daily driver until it was wreck (coming up on 2 years ago now).
The motor always ran strong and was pulled with just over 120k.  However
this motor has now been sitting in the garage for 2 years, which makes me,
worried.

Which leads me to my question.
Should the motor be rebuilt or not or should I plan on just freshening the
2.0L ABA motor.  I'm trying to keep the price to a minimal budget and not go
over board with my spending.

TIA

-Brian
85 Scirocco 8vT       01 Jetta 20vT       84 Rabbit GTI
86 Bronze Scirocco 8v