External oil cooler, coolant hose replacement?

Comments within:

T Berk wrote:

> Well, some thoughts of my own:
>
> - You need to retain a coolant flow from the pump to
> the head, the small hose that allows coolant to bypass
> the radiator. (When the thermostat on the bottom of
> the waterpump is closed this still allows coolant
> flow, and cooling of the head.)

I did pick up an 8V-style waterpump-to-head coolant hose today - without
T to stock oil cooler.

> - Instead of using the stock coolant to oil unit I
> have come across an aftermarket unit w/ internal
> thermo; it is closed when cold. (It mounts between the
> oil filter and the stock flange bolted tot he motor
> but requires a longer threaded shaft to allow the
> filter to spin on under it.)

Sorry I was not more specific... I said "I have a Volvo Turbo external
oil cooler setup" and by "setup" I meant "with thermostatic sandwich
plate setup" :)

> - I'm not so sure about the 16v hose setup but as far
> as the 8v-ers go I have replaced newer with
> simpler/older version of the coolant bypass pipe and
> managed to plumb hoses correctly. (This is the vague
> part of my discussion.)
>
> btw, I also have the Volvo cooler element.
>
> hth,
> TBerk

Thanks for input.  As it turns out, after cleaning up the "setup" I
found that I have a connector with stripped threads (between hard lines
- which I was removing - and reinforced flex lines which were to be used
to plumb the oil to the cooling radiator).  I think I will save this
project for another day when I am sure I have all my ducks in a row...
new fittings, positive plumbing, maybe do heater core while coolant is
drained, etc....

Thanks!

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
    '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L