External oil cooler, coolant hose replacement?

--- "Camron D. Crouse" <camron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hey all.  I have a Volvo Turbo external oil cooler
> setup I'd like to
> install.  Once piece of information that I am
> missing from old
> discussions is what to do about the coolant plumbing
> in a 16V (currently
> with stock oil/water cooler to be removed).
>
> Specifically, I'd like to know if I need to replace
> the heater bypass
> pipe with one from any earlier non- oil/water cooler
> setup.
<snip>

Well, some thoughts of my own:

- You need to retain a coolant flow from the pump to
the head, the small hose that allows coolant to bypass
the radiator. (When the thermostat on the bottom of
the waterpump is closed this still allows coolant
flow, and cooling of the head.)

- Instead of using the stock coolant to oil unit I
have come across an aftermarket unit w/ internal
thermo; it is closed when cold. (It mounts between the
oil filter and the stock flange bolted tot he motor
but requires a longer threaded shaft to allow the
filter to spin on under it.)

- I'm not so sure about the 16v hose setup but as far
as the 8v-ers go I have replaced newer with
simpler/older version of the coolant bypass pipe and
managed to plumb hoses correctly. (This is the vague
part of my discussion.)

btw, I also have the Volvo cooler element.

hth,
TBerk

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222