Hey! where's my message?

Since you are using Gmail, look in your SENT folder.  I've noticed
this weird one as well: In Gmail, if someone replies to your thread
and they add a "re:" in there (I think lots of mail clients do it
automatically), then Gmail considers it to be a separate topic
(subject lines don't match) and it will start a new "conversation" in
your inbox.