Multiple Questions.....

Answers within.

From: <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "A Org, Scirocco" <scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 8:58 AM
Subject: Multiple Questions.....

> On the 85 8v:
> 1) I replaced the burned FP relay with a wire, fuse and switch. The heavy wire does get real hot. Is the FP on the way out?

Maybe depending on the gauge of the wire you used. It should be at least 14Ga.

> 2) The door handle on the MKII is hard to remove. I got the screw out but the handle does not slide. Any suggestions?

There is also a screw at the front of the handle under the trim piece.

> On the MKI 16v
> 1) the motor is not generating a vac on crank, once it starts top spin it moves really fast. I am going to check compression tonight. Could > the vales be hung up? If so, whats the remedy.

Strange. I have heard of valves sticking open but never experienced it. I would imagine it would take some really nasty deposits to make that happen. Maybe you just have some crap on the valve seats holding the valves slightly open. What's the condition of your air filter?
Also, how was the performance of the last couple times you drove it?
I can't say I know of an easy remedy. Sounds like a valve job to me.

> 2) I got a set of rear disks from a MKII 16v for the MKI. I cant seem to get the calipers to retract into the housings. Are they toast?

Did you try "screwing" them in as you push them into the housing? They don't just push straight in like a front caliper piston, they need to be screwed!!