When good turbos go bad...

On 7/16/07, Mark F. <mk1mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Brendan Doyle <lord_verminaard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So what's "cheap"?  :D
> >
> > I'll keep my eyes peeled.  Would you consider a 20?  Those are all the rage at the TDIclub nowadays.  I've seen a handful of them go for cheaper than a good used vnt-15.
>

> I just picked up a used VNT20 from Scott DeWitt (TDIClub forums) for
> $395 for my mTDI Caddy...   Looks to be in good shape.  I've got a
> pretty cool mechanical VNT controller in the works made from various
> throttle body bits and pieces.  I've been lazy about getting the build
> up on the Vortex, but I'll get around to it soon...

Well, although I knew the VNT15 was too small and doomed to failure
from the start, it was damned cheap (as in GRATIS) and so it was only
the money expended on downpipe fabrication and a few gaskets that was
an issue.  As experiments go, this one was very enjoyable, and had a
predictable outcome... :)

I have other priorities that will keep me from expending (any more)
money on turbo upgrades for Carrots right now, so she'll have to
settle for something more conventional.  Or, if the mood strikes me,
maybe I'll throw on another (damned cheap!) VNT15 and see how long it
takes to break that one. (I figure I got 6 weeks and about 2500km of
BTSOOI driving out of the first one.)

Personally I consider the 20 to be too large for what I'm looking for
from the car's current tune, and the lack of a plug and play manifold
is a downside as well.  Mark, what manifold will you be using for your
installation?

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd