Some tuning questions, likely should be 2 threads...

Step 1:  Immediately remove all CIS-E components and sell them on E-bay.
Step 2:  Install Megasquirt.  (you should be a pro at that MS stuff now, right Cath?)

Just kidding.  Sorta.

Um.....  Injector flow rates?  That's what you told me about my CIS-E madness.  ;)
Re-adjusting the sensor plate will probably throw out your settings at idle, but it should be no big deal to re-adjust.  Either way if it's only off by a little, it should not make that much difference in how the car runs.

Some things (oddball things) come to mind- Ignition module?  I.E. the "Telefunken" unit mounted in the raintray.  I'd be willing to bet you have a few of these laying around, (or anyone with a VW nearby might at least) go ahead and swap them and see what happens.  It might be ok at low rpm's but at upper rpms it might be getting weak at high temps due to electron migration.  (it happens with PC's all the time!)

On the more extreme side of things, camshafts worn?  Weak/worn out lifters?  Saggy valve springs?  Highly unusual items to fail, especially on a VW, but stranger things have happened.

Does the car have a Catalytic converter?  If so, get it nice and warm, then bang on it and see if it rattles.  Maybe you have a bad cat.

I'd try the *easy* CIS stuff first, maybe even switch out your A/F gauge into the 16v real quick and go for a few rips down the street and see what it does at the upper rpms.

That's all I got  :)
Good luck.

Brendan