Some tuning questions, likely should be 2 threads...

> So, back to basic stuff, finally here's my question: airflow
> rest plate position, it's low by a few mm, I noticed this
> right after I did the fuel filter and figured I'd verify that
> it really WAS low with pressure in the system and in fact it
> is. How badly will adjusting this throw off the mixture at
> idle?

Zip, zilch, nadda.  The plate is above the rest position at idle.  I wouldn't adjust it unless you are having hard-start issues
(i.e. plate so low that air is getting around it).

Off the wall question - have you swapped out plugs lately?  Try throwing some copper plugs in there.  Oddly enough, I find that the
cheaper plugs, while having a shorter lifetime, do produce more power.  It is also possible you got a batch of semi-bad gas.

HTH
Al