Rear wheel bearing issues

Hi Nate (and List),
    That's one of the two things I really truly hate about VW's; both being
'specs'.
    The first, for rear wheel nut (thus play) being 'just able to move shim
with screwdriver', the second being timing belt tension, spec being 'just
able to turn/ twist 90 degrees'. Those aren't 'specs', at best they're
educated guesswork. Gimme a measurable, quantifiable torque value...
    Concerning the rear bearings, I go by freewheel. Tighten the nut (slowly
and gently) to the point where the wheel (drum) won't rotate on inertia; in
other words keep spinning and when the wheel won't spin when your hand comes
off, you're there. If you tighten any more, you're just adding pressure.
    Now, back the nut off about 1/2 trun, spin again. The wheel should spin
a bit on inertia, but not much. There should be little or no perceptable
play, measured by fingertip feel (try rocking the drum side to side, then up
and down).
    You're shooting for 'just in contact, no play', and I'd aim for loose
side of that. Bearings will expand and clearances will decrease with heat.
    I would suggest rechecking that the driven bearing races (inner and
outer bearings, inner race of both) that have to be driven into the drum,
are seated properly. I use a socket, as big as you have that'll fit clear
(no interference) inside the machined surface; tap tap tap until it seats
(there will be a noticeable change in tone and feel; while the race is
"dropping" into place it just does that, but when it comes in contact at the
seat there will be more bounce... uh, feedback to the hammer. Trust me,
feels and sounds different.), then tap tap tap all around the circle of the
socket so you're sure the race is fully seated, bottomed out on all sides.
If either race is loose there's no point in adjusting the bearings...
    Hope this helps.

Karl