Overheating '87 Scirocco 16V

Is your radiator fan turning on?  When the temp gauge gets about to the
middle the fan should turn on unless you have a lower fan temp sensor.
Check the plug on the end of the fan and make sure it is on tight, sometimes
the rubber seal gets in the way.  Also look at the 2 wires on the end of the
fan temp sensor.  The close location to the battery and unshielded
connections makes for quick corrosion.  If they are are corroded just mix
some baking soda and water to neutralize the corrosion and clean sensor
terminals and female wire connectors with sand paper, wire brush, etc.
Check the line coming from the h2o pump to the bottom of the radiator.  Once
the coolant system is warm the thermostat should open and let the warm
coolant back into he radiator and the hose should warm up from the warm
coolant being diverted into the radiator.
Also make sure you have cleared the coolant system of any air.  Multiple
ways of doing this that have been discussed on here before.  Let us know if
you need a refresher.  Good luck, blown head gaskets suck.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 5