battery draining... FAST

>Are you sure the battery is being recharged?  Thirteen volts with no
>load doesn't really mean the battery is fully charged.  The 12.2
>you're getting after cranking it a while is more indicative.  Did the
>battery do this when you first installed it?

Forgot to mention that I am having to put battery on charger once it gets
too low.  Sometimes I am impatient (I expect everything to be ready NOW) and
figure anything above 13 is good to try a start.  I will attempt to be more
patient when waiting on the battery charger ;)

>Be sure to check the voltage regulator and carbon brushes.  Too short
>(less than about 3/8") or not shiny on the contact surface can cause
>inadequate charging.

Would a bad voltage regulator drain a battery that quickly just when trying
to start?  Remember, the car still does not start, and definitely does not
run.  It has all the necessities, but is not cooperating.  Someone local
here (not a reliable source) told me a bad alternator could zap the battery
on start-up, but I am only going to pull that if you guys agree (no signs
that it is bad).

Also, I noticed I am missing a relay, I believe the upshift indicator relay.
  I am guessing this is one of those items that is NOT available at my local
VW dealer or Auto Zone.  Do I have to have it?  I can drive a manual without
one (never had an idiot light for shifting before).

Thanks again,
Lexan

http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline