battery draining... FAST

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:15:54 +0000, "Lexan Blanchard"
<lexan_122874@hotmail.com> wrote:

>OK, really narrowing down the field of items that would keep the car from
>starting.
>
>What are the most likely culprits of quick battery drain?  I found one bad
>ground, and fixed it.  The battery is new (like, I bought it 2 weeks ago).
>I leave the battery disconnected until I am ready to try a start.  I get in
>and attempt to start the car for about 1 minute, 2 times 30 seconds each,
>battery connected no more than 5 minutes.  Get out and disconnect the
>battery.  Multimeter reading of over 13 before connection, 12.2 after trying
>to start.  Help!
>
>Also, I am pretty sure the starter has seen better days, and figure this is
>a good candidate for replacement (it sounds really weak).  My problem is I
>can't get the old one off the car!  I have the proper size allen wrench, and
>I have sprayed PB Blaster (break-free stuff for stuck bolts and things) and
>tapped, but with no avail.    I guess where the starter is located makes is
>difficult to really get on it with some force with a regular allen wrench.
>Any ideas?  I am going to have to pay the nice guys at the auto parts store
>the core charge (they let me take the new one with a promise of returning
>the old one) soon :(

Are you sure the battery is being recharged?  Thirteen volts with no
load doesn't really mean the battery is fully charged.  The 12.2
you're getting after cranking it a while is more indicative.  Did the
battery do this when you first installed it?

Be sure to check the voltage regulator and carbon brushes.  Too short
(less than about 3/8") or not shiny on the contact surface can cause
inadequate charging.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9