New 1987 Scirocco 16v owner

Hi Duan,

  Thanks for the reply.  I looked up the timing belt on parts4vws,  should I pick up a tensioner as well?  I didn't see any motor mounts listed on their site.  Should I order from them or else where?

  I'll keep Cincinnati in mind, who knows, I might do it if the car feels good enough.

  Thanks,

  Eric

Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Eric Singer wrote:

> I've just purchased a stock 1987 Scirocco 16v about a
> week ago. The car runs pretty good and I'd like to keep
> it that way. I was not able to get a maintenance history
> of the car, but looks well maintained and have found very
> few issues with it.

Congrats and welcome! The car looks pretty sweet in the
pics.

> I've read that 16v engines require periodic timing belt
> changes, so without guessing about the age and mileage of
> the timing belt, I'll go ahead and replace it. Is there
> a recommended brand of timing belt?

Get in touch with these folks: www.part4vws.com. Order up
a timing belt, and while you're at it, a passenger side
motor mount. (You'll have to have it pressed into the
mount frame.) Front & rear mounts are easy to change, that
wouldn't be a bad idea either.

> Also, are there any other items I should go ahead and
> service?

Just general new-used car items. Fluids change & flush
etc.

Oh and of course, mark your calendar for the first weekend
of June, and roadtrip to the Cincinnati area for the annual
Scirocco party. :)

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S (Deiter) '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '88 Scirocco 16v
'96 Passat GLX Wagon '56 Cessna 172

Finding fabulous fares is fun.

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

It's here! Your new message!