Car still won't start :(

>Also, if the engine cranked, but the speed at which it turned over
>deteriorated quickly before it could start then that could indicate a weak
>starter, battery or starter cable and ground cable.
>
>So, when you jumped it, did the engine not turn over on the starter or did
>it turn over, but not actually fire?

This seems to describe what happened.  The car is attempting to start,
making the right noises, but sounds like the isn't enough battery.  Since
the battery is new, I am going with the starter and ground wiring.  I am
CERTAIN that the first start is going to be VERY rough.  The car sat for
several years with no attention.  Then the previous owner purchased last
Feb. or March.  He was able to get the car started and ran it for about a
country block and it died.  He was unable to restart after that and sold it
to me in Oct.  When I had knowledgable help right after Xmas, we checked all
the obvious.

**Spark is excellent and all the plugs are new (one of the things the
previous owner changed).  **Rotor is clean and pointing to #1 (I have
several news ones if you suggest changing it also).
**Siphoned out "gas"/varnish.  Replaced with fresh gas yesterday (about 4
gallons).
**Checked fuel movement and spray.  We took everything apart and checked it.
  Even broke a bolt holding a line into the fuel distributor and had to make
my first disappointing trip to a VW dealer.  Did locate a Used VW part
dealer/junkyard here (YEA!).
**Replaced coil (necessary) and ignition module (just for the heck of it).
**Replaced battery.
** Set timing on flywheel.  Now I did not set the timing on the cam because
it looked harder.  But, when I set the timing on the flywheel, the car made
the most noise to date.

So, at this point, I am heading to the Bentley and seeing how to check the
starter and cable and how to replace it :(  I wish it were 75* here like
last week.  Of course the week I have off work and can tinker, the weather
turns to crappy winter, and I don't have a garage.

Thanks again!
Lexan

Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series.  Who will win?
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001