thinking of getting this

I don't think you can use the exhaust header OR the downpipe.  You'd need
the MKII Scirocco header or downpipe because they're shorter then the GTI
and there's a difference between the way the 8V header meets up with the Y
pipe.  You can get these pieces online at a bunch of vendors.  I haven't
researched these prices yet.  The transmission should work but you have to
make sure you use the 8V flywheel with the 8V clutch because the 8V spline
is smaller then the 16V.  Actually I think you can technically use the 16V
flywheel and pressure plate with the 8V clutch but don't quote me on that.
I don't know if the intake runners from a GTI will fit under a MK1 hood and
I'd also try to find the KE Motronic wiring harness and fuse block because
it makes things easier.  I don't know about the differences between MK1
rocco wires and GTI wires.  I have KE Jetronic in both of my parts cars that
I might try to use but it's not modular and doesn't come apart easily like
the Motronic.  Just a point to mention, 16V's run hot and I've had heat
problems with two of mine in the past but only after the rad fan stopped
running for some reason.  Make sure your rad can handle the extra heat if
you are taking out a low compression motor.

      Rave Racer
'81 Scirocco Mk1 1.8L 8V Digifant 2
'89 Jetta 1.8L 16V GTX
'87 Audi 4000 Quattro