New R32 vs. A3 S-line

Well I could give a crap about starbucks or texting. When I'm driving, I'm
focused on driving.
OTOH, I don't know that the fun or preference associated with a manual has
so much to do with a clutch.
I dislike the power loss associated with a true (torque converter, planetary
gear set) automatic.
And I dislike the fact that the engine revs can vary widely depending on
throttle position while in a given gear with a true automatic.
And, most of all, I dislike the fact that a true automatic is rarely in the
gear that I want for spirited driving. (Not having driven any recent
automatic that are supposed to be much better in that regard.)
Personally I think a manual is all about being in the gear you want at the
revs you want when you want without unnecessary powertrain loss.
Being good at engaging the clutch for smooth shifts and being able to match
revs while downshifting are admirable skills (how many people on the list
routinely heel and toe?), but when all is said and done, baring reliability
issues I'm thinking the DSG is the ticket.
But to each his own.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken back in the mid 80's Porsche actually did the
original development of this twin clutch gearbox in the 956 race car. They
called it the PDK for some German abomination of words and surprise surprise
it had reliability problems!

BTW2, modern Formula 1 cars are using "zero shift" transmissions now. I
don't really know how they work, but they are mechanical gearboxes (for
minimum losses which would be unacceptable in an F1 car) that have no
interuption of power to the wheels while shifting.

It's the future! A computer can manage the clutch better and faster than
99.9% of the people including racing drivers.
Dan