Coolant leak

Gordy,
I had a mysterious disappearing coolant issue on my '81 for MONTHS after
I replaced my radiator.  It'd always be low, I'd fill it, it'd be low
after running it for a few fan cycles.  Eventually I topped it off, and
it stayed at the proper level.  I chalked it up to incomplete system
burping.  There still must have been air in the system, eventually it
ended up at the top of the radiator, causing a "low coolant" symptom.
If your system is acting normally, and you can't find any signs of
leaking or other fluid loss (head gasket, oil cooler, etc), I'd keep an
eye on it, keep filling it, and eventually it'll remedy itself.
Nate