Help with front end vibrations when braking

Well, the mk1 has started to shimmy and shake quite a bit when the brakes
are applied.

My first instinct is to check the tie-rod ends, but then I thought about it
and figured if they were bad it would be doing odd things even at speed.
Driving it is fine. No shaking, steers straight, etc.

When you hit the brakes the whole steering wheel starts feeling like one of
those force feedback units in the arcade when you hit a wall or grass :)

So I figure I would check the wisdom of the list and see if anyone had a
similar issue in the past and can save me a bunch of time figuring out
where the shaking is coming from.

Ideas?

Cory