Help with front end vibrations when braking

Hi Cory,
    The general consensus seems to be warped rotors... makes sense since the
shimmy only happens when brakes applied.
    Yeah but, you have a Mk1. You didn't specify year, but some MK1's had a
brake pad wear indicator cast on the rotor (and I don't remember which years
or what the brake type was; Girling, ATE, etc. Sorry).
    Best way to check is to pull a front wheel off; you'll see the shiny
surface of the rotor where the pads normally make contact. If there's a wear
indicator, it'll be a surface the same height as the swept ring of the rotor
but inside (toward sthe center of the rotor), roughly 1.5 - 2.0 inches long
(in an arc) and .50 - .75 inches wide (from radially outmost to inmost
edge).
    Hard to describe accurately in words... hmm. OK, look at an "O". Round
inside and out. If you put a dot inside the O touching it, that's sort of
what the wear indicator looks like.
    The way it works is; the pads for that disc brake type have a shelf of
pad material at the level where the pads are at the end of their service
life. When the pads wear down far enough, the shelf makes contact with the
indicator on the rotor, so whenever you apply the brakes you get a light
knocking and shimmying feel.
    Check that before you go replacing rotors.

Karl