moving to Canada legally (LOOOONG... but good info)

Here is the Canadian site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/

This is the wrong direction but they might have info:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

I've been trying to get my wife down for over a year now.  I've been pretty
quiet on the list up until lately because she's been visiting for over a
month.  Catching up.... you know.  Montreal is the main office HQ for the US
Embassy in Canada and they'll do everything but if you're trying to go to
Canada you might want to talk to the Canadians instead.  Rules up until the
last couple of years used to be...  US Citizens are allowed to cross the
border for visitation for up to 6 months but this was unregulated so if no
one stamped your passport, no one knew how long you'd been there and you
could pretty much stay as long as you wanted.  That's how it used to be.
With the tightening up of the US side of the border (Leaving Canada) the
Canadian Authorities have decided maybe they'll do the same.

Before I give any advice remember to take it simply as that... Advice.  My
experiences with immigration have been horrible on both sides of the border
as a born and raised Dual Citizen (Half Breed) I have seen many horrible
things that should have never been allowed to happen in the name of so
called "Security".
Story one should be familiar by now:  The day after my wedding last year I
tried to cross the border heading south (US border) with new wife in tow.  I
told the truth, every bit of it and regret it, every bit of it.  I had
called USCIS 6 months earlier and been given bad information on how to
cross.  July 23, 2006, the day after my wedding, my wife was finger printed,
mugshots were taken and her passport red flagged and she was not allowed
into the country.  I am Military and could not skip out on work to deal with
a situation that was out of hand.  My anniversary of course is July 22, but
I don't remember that day as well as the 23rd.
Story two is about my Flight Captain who married a local RN originally from
Hamilton who was already here on a temp work Visa.  In the attempt to have
her work Visa transfered over to a Marriage Visa they were going to revoke
her work Visa.  The Revocation would have been immediate while the new
Marriage Visa was in the mail.  This close to the Mexico border there are
Border stations on all the major highways going north and a routine trip to
El Paso would mean going through one of these.  When my Captain asked what
they should say at the border guard, the official said to Lie.  He said that
was unnacceptable and that they were not allowed to revoke her work Visa.
They made an acception to the rule and allowed her to keep it until the new
one came.

So now my shadey advice

Unwritten Rule #1: If you don't have anything prepared (Visas or Citizenship
papers) don't claim any relation and she'll get across without any hassle.
Before we were married my then girl friend was allowed to come visit me on
three occasions without any trouble.  Once married she was considered a
"Flight Risk" and subsequently denied... hence my drinking.

Unwritten Rule #2: Lie, Lie, Lie.... and if you get caught, Lie.  Nobody
knows the truth about anything at any point and every bit of it is heresay
at every point of their questioning.  Unless you have drugs on you, and in
the case of Canada maybe weapons, you're golden.  Just don't push it about
paying duty taxes on junk.

Unwritten Rule #3: Stick to your story.  They'll question you endlessly and
get mad when you repeat yourself after they repeat the same question back to
you 30 times.  Get mad back, they're idiots and are trying to trip you up
and when it doesn't work, they get frustrated.  If you don't get riled
easily, it's actually fun to watch.

Good luck and don't mention my real name to anybody at the border... if they
check you'll be held there and questioned for hours.  I should hope going
into Canada would be easy.

      Rave Racer
Current:
'91 Jetta GLI 2.0L 16V