[OT] 1990 Jetta Injector Seals Replacement - I Smell Gas!

Hey Gang,

I replaced the injector seals this weekend (1.8 8v, Digifant).

On injector # two one of the small plastic "spacers" snapped while
removing. It doesn't look like they are large enough to seal anything,
but they look more like they hold the actual rubber seal in place to
keep it from moving. There are two on each side of the seal, on each
injector. I kinda made another one out of an old seal; it was a pretty
good match.

Now, after driving it a couple of days I notice a strong gas smell
coming through my vents. I can't tell if it is leaking at all. Could
that still be the remnants of the gas that leaked out when I pulled out
the fuel rail? The car runs pretty smooth (idle moves just a bit). -OR-
Could the gas be leaking onto the manifold.

Any ideas?

Jason