Strut Time - suggestions? Koni vs Bilstien vs Bilstein

I have the Bilstein HDs on my daily, with stock springs, and it did raise
the car exactly 1/2" as Dan suggested. It's a fat, tall Bug, so handling
isn't exactly Scirocco-like, and I don't care, it's the winterbeater. I'd
do a rerun on them. I have Koni yellows on Klaus, and I'd absolutely go
with them again for the use I make of the car, I can stiffen them for
spirited driving, and back them off to soft for the usual awful public
roads or long highway drives. (Note that I don't autocross though). They
have adjustment on the top of the strut, so you can literally change the
stiffness while waiting at a stoplight if you move fast. (Well, I did it
while waiting for a train once, but you get the idea.) Because of this you
need to add a step drill into your installation arsenal, the shaft is
fatter than stock. (Koni reds are the ones that need removal for
adjustment.) I seem to recall Potter having a preference for the Bilsteins,
don't recall why and I recall that both of the ones you mention have the
same valving, but are designed to work with different spring types as Dan
has already mentioned. As I've said before, I just chat with Potter about
my budget and expectations and have been happy so far.
Cathy