OT: VR6 rebuild advice

Allyn,

Sorry for the late reply on this but I am sure you have some time to order
more parts. I just went through the timing chains and tensioner job with a
friend of mine who had the pleasure of doing it before. We took our time and
allocated a few hours here and there on the weekends to do it. In the end, I
spent around $3K in parts that revolved around this job. While doing so, to
get some relief, I sprung for a Techtonics Tuning Stainless Steel exhaust
and went forward with a lightened flywheel.

Without question, buy a clutch kit. I replaced the three motor mounts and
any plastic cooling bits related to what they refer to the "crack" pipe. I
bought a kit with a billet replacement and all of the seals. I recall the
kit comes with a thermostat. I replaced the water pump, drive belt, radiator
fan belt and all fluids such as brake, coolant (G12), and power steering.
Lastly, we did a bolt kit replacement for the rivets in the transmission.
Perhaps a lot of this was overkill, but you'll soon realize that once you
get the front end of the car off and pull the motor out, you'll just want to
replace what could break eventually. The VR6 is a PITA to work on within the
engine bay.

HTH,

Jim
--