OT: TDI tranny (020 diff)

Drilling the rivets can be a PITA without a drill press...using one?

In any case, choose a drill that's pretty big - I use a 1/2" - and drill until the head of the
rivet comes off.  No farther.  After you get all the heads off, support the diff on 2x4s sideways,
and use a heavy hammer and punch to drive them out of the diff.  If you are going to use the same
diff and ring gear, put the bolts in before all the rivets are drilled out so you avoid separating
the ring and the diff.

This is a 15-20 min job once you know how to do it and have the right tools.

HTH

Ron
--- Koabi Brooks <koabi.brooks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> scirocco content:  the 020 tranny is *still* getting rivets drilled out.  I
> am paranoid that I will go into the ring gear.  The rivets were intact but
> there were a couple of cracks visible on the surface that might have
> developed into something worse if the remained in place.

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?