Paints etc

On 4/19/07, Neptuno <neptunonc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Do you say Cirrus gray, Like Rodolfo Cirrus gray? How long ago since this?

I picked up the car earlier this winter - the interior is really nice,
the underside was immaculate (the previous (only) owner had it
Krown'ed when new, and undercoated it yearly), but there was some rust
over the wheel arches and along the bottom of the doors and upper
rockers.

I ground everything down to bare metal, Picklex20 'ed it, applied and
sanded body filler, spray bombed it w/ 1K high build primer, sanded,
spot putty'ed, sanded, and finally applied the Cirrus grey topcoat
($20+ per can at NAPA).  It turned out better than I was expecting,
although a coat of clear would be worth doing.

I guess my adolescent anarchistic penchant for spray paint wasn't all
just a waste of a good buzz... :)

I traded some of my time and well under $100 for a repair that from
5ft. away looks quite decent.  The only bad thing is that the car I
bought to be a "beater" is now starting to look too nice to justify
driving it in the winter, and it now has it's hooks in me to swap my
16v donor engine and parts into it...  Damn scheming sentient
mechanical abominations!  (anybody call a Scirocco THAT yet?  I have
my doubts...  :D)

So you'll probably see another Cirrus grey 82 on snowflakes at Cincy...

Later,

Mark.
75
82