Virginia

  Like it or not, eventually some form of gun control will happen.
  I understand that US Citizens have a constitutional right to bear arms.
  I understand also that someone can kill with a baseball bat or a
hockey puck.
  I am a Canadian, but we did lose a Canadian teacher in that mishap, so
that gives me (some) qualification to speak my mind :-)
  Given that, please consider the following:
  - a baseball bat (or a shovel or a kitchen knife) requires some skill
to be used for killing. Not a firearm, the primary purpose of a firearm
is to kill. Even small kids can do it.
  - since we register automobiles, there is no big technical challenge
to register guns. (although some crooks made a bundle screwing up
Canada's gun registry.)
  So everyone has the right (constitutional or not) to own a car or a
driver's license. Yet you have to learn to drive and pass an exam before
you get a license, and your car is registered. What's the big hangup
about requiring a license for a firearm and registering a gun?
  Last September, in Montreal, a young man went berserk and went on a
rampage. He had a legally registered firearm. He was known to have a
violent web site and to have mental problems,  but that . The gun he
used was a Beretta CX4. Splendid machine, see for yourself:
<http://www.cx4storm.com/>
  Why the heck is someone allowed to have such a weapon in a non-combat
situation?
  I do not know what weapon was involved in VT, but I bet if there were
reasonable controls he would be at least limited in his ability to hurt
so many people.  Unless of course some determined victims stormed him,
but civilians faced with a powerful killing machine might not react like
that.
  Yes, you have the right to bear arms, but take some precautions. You
do protect yourself for sex, no?

    Jean-Claude
    84 8v (step on the gas if it smells like danger!)