Manifold tubes are plastic?!? and timing help

Ok, first off the camshaft (and the distributor) turns half as fast as the
crankshaft, so turn the crank one revolution and the timing mark will be on
the front side of the engine where you need it to be to check cam timing and
get the distributor in the right place.

If the rotor is pointing at #4 right now then that is good bearing in mind
that #1 and #4 should be opposite each other in the distributor cap. The
firing order is 1-3-4-2 so #4 is one crank revolution, one half distributor
revolution, out of position.

So, once you turn the crank one revolution, it sounds like the rotor will be
pointing at #1, then just install the plug wires into the cap in the order
1-3-4-2 going clockwise. Rereading your email it sounds like they're in the
right order, as long as you are noting their position in a clockwise order.
And, yes, you're have the cylinder numbering correct. #1 closest to the
timing belt.

Must be difficult as hell trying to learn all this stuff from the Bentley
and a bunch of emails, but it sounds like you're just about there.
Dan