DCI BBQ this Saturday (Long reply)

Answers strewn throughout:

Lance LaPrarie wrote:
> Was the blue tape on there to keep from burning an edge?

I had to blend in on the c-pillar after wetsanding/polishing a couple
spots a bit thin.

Also, what's
> the story on the last image? You have a fender with some cancer? Looks
> kind of beat. Granted it would be covered by the flare so it really
> doesn't matter. Still, looks like it got eaten pretty good.

This poor car is sort of a black cat with nine lives... it had been
resprayed at least once (and probably wrecked) prior to me acquiring it
in 2001. A few pics posted by the previous owner can be found on pg. 6
of the .org 16V photo gallery,
<http://www.scirocco.org/photos/16v/ww-black1.jpg>
<http://www.scirocco.org/photos/16v/ww-black2.jpg>
<http://www.scirocco.org/photos/16v/ww-black3.jpg>

I had the car less than a year before getting sandwiched at a stop.  I
would have preferred to part the car at the time but my wife wouldn't
let me rip apart the car in her garage, hehe.  The damage was borderline
enough to get a shop to fix it, even though it was declared a total loss
as far as insurance was concerned.

The East coast rust had already poked through in a couple spots when I
originally had taken delivery of the car, so I had the body shop "take
care" of them.  They had the car maybe two months, and it looked pretty
good... for a while.  About a year later a funny-looking spot developed
on the hood.  Then the clearcoat started to peel off in that spot, soon
followed by the rest of the hood. The bodyshop was no longer in
business, the owner nowhere to be found. The following year the whole
car was showing symptoms of the clearcoat dandruff, and the rust was
coming back, too. I couldn't stand to be seen in it anymore, and there
was no way I could justify spending thousands on a new paint job on a
rebuilt car!

Then last summer Rick Kellner posted a link here on the list to "The $50
Paint Job" thread on Moparts.com
<http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=3&fpart=1&vc=1>
So I got inspired to paint my own damn car!
The thread continues to this day!
<http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=3&fpart=71&vc=1>

Father-in-law welded in new sheetmetal after I sanded off all the
failing paint and cut out all the rust (rear wheel arches, particularly
pass. side where some body damage had been, rear hatch at base of glass,
and pass side rear quarter just aft of the B-pillar at the base of that
glass too)  Good thing I have the 16V bodykit to cover much of that area
with the rear wheel arch.  The pic you saw is just one of the first
passes with body filler, so it's substantially better looking now, thank
goodness!
I used Brightside Polyurethane, a single stage marine paint. The hood
was my original test piece, done with a roller! The rest I sprayed from
a cheapo Costco HVLP kit, and it looks "pretty good".  I painted in
"checkerboard" fashion (roof/wiper/cowling/fenders, then masked those
off and painted the opposite panels - doors/quarters, back) due to
working conditions - dirty undersized garage, insufficient air supply
for a big gun, etc.

> You do the motor bay too?

Naw, couldn't justify a total resto on a car once-totaled... plus, I
knew I couldn't make the car look any worse than it did when I got
started! A perfect guinea pig!

> One of the many things I'm going to do on mine is keep the white but do
> a tight pearl. That way I'll keep the same color but add a little depth.
> There is no real rust to speak of on my car which is incredible for a
> car that has 240k on the clock. Anyone that has seen it knows what I'm
> talking about. The body has some dings and dents but is overall pretty
> straight. It was bodywork free until an DWO lady backed into it while it
> was parked. So much for my virgin body. But hey, it worked out ok, while
> it was in the shop and they had the paint mixed I had my euro plate
> bracket, euro bumpers, eurolight backing plates and the kamei trim
> spoiler painted. So it worked out ok but still kind of lame to pollute
> it with bodywork.
>
> Your paint looks hot. Brave man to go black. Tough to have them turn out
> right with a working mans budget. Unless your a painter at a good shop.

Thanks for the kind words, though pictures only show so much. I need to
get it out into the sun to really go over everything.
You are right, black is unrelenting, and wetsand scratches have been the
bane of my existence for months as I try to work them out, only to burn
thru the  paint "again!"  Have always wanted the "perfect black
Scirocco" and this won't be it either, but should be a good 3-5 footer!

> Anyway, hats off to you sir. Very nice ride. Can't wait to see it on the
> road. Maybe Waterwagens?  I'll be dragging and showing this year.
>
> Hope to see all that can make it show this year. Would be nice to have
> another decent Rocco showing this year. There were a ton of them last
> year. Got to have more this year than last. WaterWagens is in July.

I'll keep that in mind for the summer.  I've never been to a VW show,
but I'd sure like to win that "9 lives" category!

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
    '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L