OT: USB adapters for PCMCIA slots

> Ok it has been my experience that you only have to use the
> auxillery power supply for SOME devices.  I believe to meet
> the IEEE standard it has to be something like 5v 500mh
> supplied from EACH port.  You add the PS to suppliment that
> for something that draws MORE than 500mh.

PCMCIA cards run at either 3.3V or 5V, and the current requirements do not usually allow a USB adapter card to power itself and its
ports without risking damage to the laptop PCMCIA bus.

Additionally, many USB ports will auto-detect a >500mA condition and power down the port, along with sending a 'overload detected'
error to the system (shows up on XP as a balloon warning).

Al