Help! New caliper won't bleed

I installed a new (reman) caliper on my '81, but I can't get it to
bleed.  I did the 2 person loosen/pump/tighten/up/repeat technique, but
  I'm not getting fluid out of the bleeder (after about 5 minutes of
attempted bleeding, I'd assume I'd get SOMETHING).  I know I'm getting
fluid to the caliper, and the master is full.  Even with the bleeder
removed, I'm getting moderate pedal resistance, instead of straight to
the floor.  I'm headed to rent a vacuum bleeder, but if that doesn't
work, I assume I can expect to have a bad caliper?

Any quick help would be appreciated, I'd like to get this figured out
this afternoon.

Thanks!
Nate