Pacific Waterland Scirocco Update

Beautiful cars!

Just sitting here looking at thepics and I started thinking maybe I
should move back to Portland, cuz I don't remember all the Sciroccos
being there when I was there.  Then I remembered seeing one once when
I was a cab driver (Broadway).  I was driving up Broadway one night
downtown with a fare in the backseat.  It was a Friday or Sat night as
the street was packed with traffic.  Anyway, as we're nearing Pioneer
Square, I see a Scirocco in traffic ahead of me.  I can't remember if
I did this to "say hi" or if I was cut-off or something, but I tooted
the horn of the cab at the Scirocco.  As a result, the driver slowed
down until I passed him.  As I did I looked over (it's a Scirocco!)
and caught a glimpes of something that looked like a gun barrel
sticking out of the driver's window from the back seat.  Next thing I
know, the read pass. window on my cab is hit with a paintball.  The
chase is on!  He punches it, I follow.  I look at the two old geezers
in the backseat who look like they could barely afford the fare (and
they were headed to one of those  shabby hotels downtown where you pay
by the week).  Anyway, I look back at them and ask "Are you in a
hurry?"  "Nope."  "Well, since I flat rated the trip (charged $5
instead of turning on meter, was short trip) and it won't cost you
anything, do you mind if I give chase?"  "Nope."  Off we went.  We
flew down a couple of blocks and he heads to the right to try to lose
me, but I'm a cab driverl, you can't lose me!  He takes a left heading
up 13th (IIRC) right along the 405.  There's a red light and he thinks
he's safe.  I pull up behind him and he runs it.  Then two more and
he's down the onramp to the freeway. I let him go at that point, but I
did have time to get the plates, radio dispatch, and have the cops
after him.  Boy that was fun!  Then I casually dropped off the
gentlemen who were about one step above street bums and they thanked
me for the entertaining ride.

One other Scirocco related story from PDX:  I had a friend that used
to live in North Portland and his back yard backed onto Columbia Ave.
Where exactly, I don't remember.  But he was a mechanic on the side
(while going to school) and did everything at his house.  For a little
while there he had a red MkI with a uni-wiper that he was IIRC
restoring or at least redoing the wiring.  It was there for a bit
(early to mid 90s) and while I guess he did decent work as people were
bringing their cars to him to work on, I'm not sure I'd want him doing
my Scirocco.  His name was Charlie, BTW, if anyone cares.  :)