The search in Jett-A, was firey rocco

    So, just got back from Wisconsin and Toronto.  Bought the GLI as noted in the sig below, BUT...  there's a few issues.  I know CIS pretty well but not good enough to troubleshoot down from a symptom to a problem.  I don't even know if the problem is fuel, I actually think it might be a sensor or something vaccuum related.  I figured I'd find the best 16V knowledge right here at home even though it's not the Rocco.  My idle fluctuates once the car is warm then it'll settle for a few seconds then it'll fluctuate again.  Sometimes I'll be sitting at a light and the car will just rev as high as 5000 even though I'm not touching the pedal.  Can it do that without the throttle butterfly open?  Did Herby have water pumper kids?  Also it'll jerk sometimes at speed while cruising, sometimes while accelerating, but not consistently.  I'm a little worried about some Audi style unintended acceleration, but it's a stick so that's not as big of a deal as just having it over rev on it's own.  Any suggestions where to look, what to change, etc?  Here's everything I am suspect of:
    Leaky oil pan had sprayed oil over everything including O2 sensor
    Previous owner said there was a new Voltage regulator but really doesn't know much about cars
    Steering pump blew the seal (<--tee hee) about 500 miles before this started and sprayed steering fluid everywhere.  Since fixed, seal dissappointed.
    Base of air box is missing the elastics and has been cut, for breathing I guess, but top is intact
    Throttle body seems fine but I don't know anything about the sensors on it
    Fuel pump is strong but this started also about 10 miles down the road after a fillup, so it could have been dirty gas, but I've filled up again so maybe not.

Oklahoma looked nice.  I saw the largest cross in the western hemisphere and knew I had just reached the boringest place on earth.  It was in Texas.  I couldn't get that damn cross out of my rearview fast enough.

      Rave Racer
Currently:
NEW!!  91 Jetta GLI 2.0L 16V
'81 Scirocco Mk1 1.8L 8V Digifant 2