Acid Bath

Dan Bubb wrote:

>  I'm dubious about acid dipping though. How do they rinse off the
> acid? If any is left behind you'll have a corrosion problem,
That's what I have heard also. Acid gets into seams and pockets and
doesn't rinse off properly.  The acid keeps etching.

I understand that acid dipping is almost extinct in Calif due to
environmental regulations. Other states may not be far behind. That
generally drives the price up.

There is a website relating to restoring old vehicles and it has photos
of an old rusted truck chassis being "derusted". You create a tub filled
with a borax mixture and put the item in it. Attach "electrodes" (rebar)
which are attached to a battery charger and let it soak for a while. (A
long while I guess.) It sounds wacky but it seems to work. This guy
built a wooden frame and plastic sheets to make what was essentially a
swimming pool.

Oh heck, let me see if I can find the link. It has been posted here before.

http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html

(Additional links here.)

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Chris