Brakes. oh yeah

On 9/19/06, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@verizon.net> wrote:

> Given a choice I'd run an unplated, slotted rotor that's relatively cheap and Mintex Red Box pads.

I'm a fan of Mintex Red Box pads for the street, but I've recently
discovered that they don't hold up to track abuse very well.  Both
Sean and I *melted* our sets at TDN a few weeks ago.  Mine were less
than a week old, and they're not nearly as effective on the street
anymore.  They work well for about three hot laps and then start to
fade, after which a cool down lap is required.  Repeat about 40 times,
and there's a recipe for spent pads...

I guess there really isn't a perfect pad that's streetable, and will
hold up to track day duties.  The Red Box pads will be fine for
autocrossing though...  I have tried Hawk Blue pads, but they really
suck when cold and aren't appropriate for the street.  I think the
closest I have found to true dual nature pads are Panther Plus pads,
but it's a good idea to get a bit of heat into them before your first
stop on a cold morning...  For strictly street/autocross I'd second
Dan's Mintex Red Box recommendation - they're a very good pad...

Later,

Mark.
75
82