need advice, beginning work on '84

--- Kathryn Griffin <griffink1@nku.edu> wrote:

> hi,
> my name is katy and Ive had my scirocco for about 2
> years.

OMG, can the list handle another Katy/Cathy???  :p

 For a while it was just a car that i took basic
> care of to get me from one place to another, but the
> longer i drive it the more i love it.

Funny how these things addict you like that.  Same thing
happened to me about....   13 years ago.  (Damn has it been
THAT long already?!)

 specifically, is there
> anything to work on to improve acceleration and general
> performance?

Plenty!  As the great guru Mr. Bubb stated, the first thing
to do is get rid of the restrictive exhaust manifold and go
with the earlier style 4-2 manifold w/ dual downpipe.  From
there, a better flowing cat-back exhaust is a good step,
and if you would like, go with a better cam.  These cars
(again, as Dan said) can also be vastly improved with a
good set of lowering springs (H&R is highly recomended) and
good shocks.

any
> advice for the beginning scirocco enthusiast would be
> much appreciated.

The best piece of advice I think is to buy a Bentley manual
for the car.  They can be found on eBay reasonable, or
picked up new.  The Haynes manual is a wheel chock, the
Chilton's only slightly better.

Now, keep your calendar free for the first weekend of June
as that's when the Scirocco list gets together at my
parent's place for our annual weekend-long party.  You're
NOT that far away so you have no excuse.  :p

Welcome!

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
'56 Cessna 172