Got rear-ended: Need advice

Don's right, get yourself checked out Nate.

Don Walter <dswalterwi@gmail.com> wrote:  Don't forget about any medical bills, therapy, etc. If you got smacked hard
you may (or may not) start feeling pains as much as a week away. When I got
rear ended in my Beetle I felt like living hell the next day and was that
way for a while. I was in college and didn't know about things like medical
coverage etc.... and the guy skipped town but I was able to have my
insurance track him down. Hope you are not hurting to bad. Don't low ball
your repairs as there is always something else you will find.

On 9/12/06, Nate Mellom wrote:

> /rant
> I was driving my Quantum, turning left at a green arrow. Light turned
> yellow, guy in front of my stopped short, I stopped, lady in a Suburban
> smacked my good. Messed up my bumper and hatch, cracked a tail light.
> My head hit the headrest, I have a headache and my neck is sore. In a
> hurry, I didn't call the cops, but I got her information. Her son had
> to translate, she spoke minimal inglais (she's Hispanic). She didn't
> give me her last name. I went to the police, they won't investigate an
> accident unless an officer was called to the scene. Went to the body
> shop, $2135 in damage. Went to my insurance company (my agent speaks
> Spanish), she called the lady, who thought she had Allstate, but thought
> the agents name was Eric Beck (a good friend of mine, an American Family
> agent). She still didn't give her last name, apparently she has a bunch
> of tickets and doesn't want her insurance company involved, and wanted
> to talk to her husband first. I'm meeting her tonight, I guess to
> settle. My agent told me if it gets run through her insurance, it'll
> most likely be totaled, and I'd get market value for the car (around
> $600). Of course, they don't take into account the uniqueness or rarity
> of the car, or the fact that's in the take-the-kid-to-day-car-mobile,
> it's just a car. I got KBB, NADA, and Edmunds estimates ($680-$2400,
> depending on condition), NADA's low retail is $1900, which is the value
> I'm taking with me. I'll meet her tonight, and see what happens, but I
> really hope I don't get screwed. I know I should have called the cops,
> etc, and I REALLY wish she spoke English (I'll save that rant for
> another day), but if they refuse to settle for what I want, what should
> I do? Call a lawyer? Get a gun?
>
> Ugh....
>
> Thanks for listening, any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Nate
> /endrant

Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1986 8V Black Scirocco (Daily Driver)
1984 8V Audi 4000s (RIP 2/14/2006)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708939)
1986 2L 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (Ben's Car)
1971 Karman Ghia (sold)
1969 Karman Ghia (sold)
1969 Beetle (sold)