Tricks and Tips to remove a 5th Gear?

On 9/4/06, Rick Kellner <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> Mark, thanks for the reply and link.  Also, pic would be great whenever
> you have a chance.
> Thanks, Rick.

Hi Rick,

I crudely replicated the the tool shown in this pic:

<http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/techtips/5thgearconversion/5thgearkit.jpg>

In a hurry, I just used what I had lying around my shop, so I ended up
having to use my bench grinder to take 3/4" (.125" wall) steel tubing
down to a 5/8" diameter at the tip of the tool.  Ideally you would
make this out of 5/8" O.D. (.065" wall) tubing, and just notch the
tip.  The tool doesn't need to be very strong, since the tube isn't
difficult to remove at all, so even if you're all thumbs and tool
looks like crap it should get the job done...  :D

You can probably make the tool using just an angle grinder w/ a cutoff
wheel , but I found using a hacksaw to make two cuts into the top of
the tube to define the protruding "legs", and then grinding the excess
metal away to be the easiest way to do it...

<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/5thgeartool2.jpg>
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/5thgeartool.jpg>

HTH!

Later,

Mark - enjoying a day off, Sciroccos included...
75
82
82 Caddy
93 Chevy/Kia 1/2 ton