Tricks and Tips to remove a 5th Gear?

On 9/4/06, Rick Kellner <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> I picked up an FN transaxle and want to remove the .71 fifth gearset.  I
> do not have another plans for the FN however; that does not mean I want
> to trash it either.
> Does anyone have a copy of the Autotech procedure describing the removal
> of the fifth gearset?  Or are there any other tech procedures out there
> describing the steps?  Anyone have any tips and tricks to get this done
> with a minimal amount of special tools?

I swapped out the 5th gear in my 9A tranny a few weeks ago and used
info from <http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/> (go to the Tech tips
section).

I made my own special tool with a piece of steel tubing and a grinder,
and it worked fine...  I can take a pic of it for you (recharging it's
batteries right now).  I think Larry mentioned that he used a pair of
circlip pliers with success as well...

HTH,

Mark.
75