head to firewall ground strap

No such thing as too many grounds.
I am not positive but I would wager a halfassed guess that you don't
have good continuity with the hood being that there is grease and
other contaminates (paint) that prevent a good flow of electrons.
Also since there is a good deal of air friction across the top of the
hood you want to make sure that you are discharging any static that
builds up.  For the head... well you have a gasket, and other things
that are seperating the head from the rest of the engine and although
there are bolts and such that go through, the grounding strap on the
head helps this... also the return path for the spark plugs may
require additional grounding via the head.

I would say in both cases the ground straps are very important if for
nothing else EMI.

Chris