4K vs. 2Y, not much difference?

On 8:41 pm 10/31/06 "Rick Kellner" <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> Cathy, if you swapped out the R&P on the AGB (same gear ratios as the
> 2Y) you must have swapped out the fourth gear drive too, correct?
>
> I have a FN with the 3.89 R&P and a 9A (again, same close ratio gears
> as 4k, 2Y, AGB) that I might try to make a 4K-like as you describe.  I
> figure any 4K (or any 020 box) I pick up is going to need to be torn
> down since the ones I seem to find have 150k miles on them.  They are
> probably nearing SMS time...
> Rick.

Yep, I had my neighbour do the build, he's a professional tranny guy. But
fourth got swapped, the AGB fourth just does not fit the 3.94 pinion (which
I got from Peter, new). And fifth got swapped because it will drive you
insane otherwise, I'd like to do Klaus' too. (and may as well do the diff
too while you're there, hell, it's only money). I have pictures of the two
pinions, they don't look at all alike, the AGB one's longer (and I think
skinnier, IIRC, the .org gear chart would confirm that). It's a
frankentranny, just like all my stuff ends up, it seems. Appropriate for
Oct 31, no? :)
Cathy