Poor Canadians

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris [mailto:open.seas@verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:11 PM
To: 'Org, Scirocco'
Subject: Re: Poor Canadians

Published on Monday, July 24, 2006 by the Los Angeles Times
Global Warming-- Signed, Sealed, and Delivered
Scientists agree: The Earth is warming, and human activities are the
principal cause.
by Naomi Oreskes

An Op-Ed article in the Wall Street Journal a month ago claimed that a
published study affirming the existence of a scientific consensus on the
reality of global warming had been refuted. This charge was repeated
again last week, in a hearing of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

I am the author of that study, which appeared two years ago in the
journal Science, and I'm here to tell you that the consensus stands.

-------------------

It stands?  Then would these folks agree with you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_global_warming_cons
ensus

>From the page above...

This page lists scientists who have expressed doubt regarding the scientific
opinion on global warming. The consensus has been summarized by the UN
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as follows:

   1. The global average surface temperature has risen 0.6 ? 0.2?C since the
late 19th century, and 0.17?C per decade in the last 30 years.
   2. "Most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable
to human activities", in particular emissions of the greenhouse gases carbon
dioxide and methane.
   3. If greenhouse gas emissions continue, the warming will continue and
indeed accelerate, with temperatures increasing by 1.4?C to 5.8?C between
1990 and 2100, causing sea level rise and increasing extreme weather events
like hurricanes. On balance, the impacts of global warming will be
significantly negative.

These main points are held by the majority of climate scientists and those
doing research in closely related fields; however, there are also a small
number of scientists who actively disagree. This page is intended to
highlight those scientists who have, since the 2001 IPCC Third Assessment
Report, published research or made public comments openly opposing at least
one of the conclusions listed above.

Only scientists with a record of scholarship are included, and they must
have been making specific statements, not merely participating in a poll or
survey of opinion. This list is intended to be comprehensive, but is likely
to be incomplete.

My study demonstrated that there is no significant disagreement within
the scientific community that the Earth is warming and that human
activities are the principal cause.

'Significance' is decided by the interpreter of the information gathered,
but in this case I believe it is better interpreted by the reader, not the
writer or the interpreter.  After all, none of us have a clue.  We have
never been here before.  I leave an open door because of that fact, no one
knows.  I tend to like to try to refute those who believe they -do- know.
Nothing personal, but I don't believe this topic will be solved anytime
soon...

Why do I argue both sides?  Mostly because I knew of things to counter the
arguments posted, and I am curious of you all's responses...

Cheers,
  David