Poor Canadians

There are prominent well respected scientific organizations that support
the global warming theory. There are also highly credentialed scientists
that the opposite view. If you have ever tried to get an organization to
agree on a position statement you may know how difficult this can be.
Thus, the pendulum may swing toward those supporting the theory. On the
other hand, two of the opponents are from UVA so it is doubtful that
they are wrong. :-)

Chris
Alexandria, VA

PS With all the pollutants we dump into the air we will probably choke
to death on those long before global warming has a chance to kill us.
Supporters of the global warming theory

Organisations that support the global warming theory (or at least that
have issued supportive declarations) include:

     * The UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
     * The national academies of science of the G8 countries and Brazil,
China and India [20].
     * The US National Academy of Sciences, both in its 2002 report to
President George W. Bush, and in its latest publications, has strongly
endorsed evidence of an average global temperature increase in the 20th
century and stated that human activity is heavily implicated in causing
this increase.
     * The American Meteorological Society (AMS statement).
     * The American Geophysical Union (AGU statement). John Christy, who
is usually placed in the skeptics camp, has signed the AGU statement on
climate change.
     * The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). [21]
     * The Union of Concerned Scientists

It should be noted that these groups, far from advocating an unusual
position, represent the mainstream position (consensus) that is the
scientific opinion on climate change.
[edit]

Opponents of the global warming theory

     Main article: List of scientists opposing global warming consensus

A small number of climate scientists and scientists in related fields
have expressed opposition to the scientific consensus on global warming.
Several of the most prominent are the following:

     * Patrick Michaels from the Department of Environmental Sciences at
the University of Virginia
     * Robert Balling of Arizona State University
     * Sherwood B. Idso of the U.S. Water Conservation Laboratory [22]
     * S. Fred Singer, atmospheric physicist and professor emeritus of
environmental sciences at the University of Virginia
     * Richard Lindzen of Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
     * Frederick Seitz (anti-global warming treaties, accepts the
temperature rise as real, but not yet properly explained)
     * William M. Gray, emeritus professor at Colorado State University
and one of the world's leading experts on tropical storms. Claims that
there is no link between increasing ocean temperatures and more intense
hurricanes in recent decades and dismisses computer climate models. [23].
     * Roy Spencer, known for his satellite-based temperature monitoring
work
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy