master cylinder dead?

On 4:10 am 10/06/06 Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:
> Jacob Hawes wrote:
> >  Someone from england on a mmo I play (eve-online) suggested that...

Spewey added:
> I'm pretty sure you came to the wrong list or else this place has
> become useless.  Try and go stab someone at your place of education
> and see if anything bad happens.

SOMEONE sure came to the wrong list. ;P

Anyway, master cylinder failure symptoms are pretty easy to diagnose, so
let's go there eh? Usually brake pedal feel will be soft if the MC's dead,
and the other, more useful dignostic is to pull up to a stop sign and stop.
(Yeah, Spewey, I know that's frigging rocket science, but I'll continue on
with the helpful advice if it's okay with you).
Anyway, what happens after that is the key. Once you stop and the pedal has
travelled to where the brakes grip firmly, the pedal shouldn't creep any
more towards the floor as you apply pressure, ie it should stop somewhere
before it bottoms out and not move further. If it slowly creeps down after
that, you may just have a shot MC. I'd bleed it again just in case,
starting with the wheel furthest from the MC and working closer as you go.
HTH.
Cathy