  From: Chris Bennett
  To: Jan Folkson
  Cc: scirocco list
  Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:44 AM
  Subject: Re: OT: Maui sucks

  LOL I couldn't resist.  In all seriousness I do have to work here.
  I am only here for 48 hours.  Not a lot of time for fun.  Good news is
  that I may be able to do both jobs today and have tommorow.

  Andrea's really mad at me.

  I have a question for the masses.  Speaking of traveling for work.  As
  most of you know my aunt passed in July and I had several other deaths
  in the family since, most notable is Andrea's Dad.  Anyhow... I didn't
  have the money to go to the funeral of my aunt, one of my mother's few
  company card and I would get a loan to pay it off a week or so later.
  The travel dept said that was fine as long as I paid it in 30 days.
  Well Accounting paid the tickets off by default and they weren't
  supposed to.  I had the loan I was going to pay my bill with amex when
  Andrea's Dad passed (about two weeks later) and obviously I didn't
  make the payment that week.  I didn't even look at my card so I had no
  idea that it had been paid by the company by mistake.  At the wake I
  get this super nasty phone call from my supervisor questioning ethics
  and basically accusing me of stealing from the company.

  It wouldn't wait till later I had to talk to him at that point despite
  the fact I was at a wake.  I explained it, they grudgingly accepted
  the explanation, and made it sound like they were going to cover for
  me--even though I did nothing wrong.  Which made me angry but I let it
  slide.

  Now... I get an email inviting me to a holiday party at headquarters.
  They are going to fly myself and my wife to Pennsylvania, put us up in
  a hotel for the weekend, rent a car for us and all that for a 5 hour
  Christmas party...  All of the field service techs are invited... so
  that's like 30 techs and spouses (60ish total) flying from all over
  the country for a 5 hour party.  Am I angry?  Am I insulted?  Yea.
  Did I expect the company to pay for my family to go to my aunt's
  funeral.  No. I didn't and I still don't.  What upsets me is the fact
  that the company is willing to have all these people travel to PA and
  I got read the riot act over a misunderstanding and I didn't get an
  apology.  It's not like I was watching a football game when they
  called... I was trying to say goodbye to another loved one.

  Should I go?  Should I be upset?  Should I not hand them my resignation?

  Just venting sorry...